Saturday 21 February 2009

New directions

The last few weeks, since the Dey Krahom eviction, have been busy and
overloaded. I'm struggling to keep the website going since losing
Senim, and I've yet to secure any volunteers or staff to help the
newspaper mapping going, and i have many more ideas for expanding it
as an information source on land issues in Cambodia. I'm thinking to
rebrand it as a collaborative mapping project on land and natural
resource issues. I have begun adding pages on information of at-risk
communities. This is a massive undertaking, especially to keep it up
to date. Anyhow, there is still a lot of positive responses to the
site so I am considering options for volunteers and / or paid staff to
assist. But that will get expensive and i have limited funds
available.

The next project to begin bubbling away inside my head, and which I
have been promoting a lot lately, is what i currently refer to as the
nonviolent story project - peace by peaceful means, through epidemic
story-telling. The basic idea is that story-telling is a powerful
medium for communicating information on many different levels, and
importantly helping people to process that information more than if
they receive straight content.

I now have two short papers written on the theme of story as
nonviolent resistance. I will post them soon.

The first nonviolent story-telling project is underway, interviewing
former Dey Krahom residents about their experience.

In my papers i talk a lot about the processing that stories can
facilitate. I now need to research and develop a concrete plan to make
that happen. Just telling stories won't always ensure a
process-oriented learning cycle will occur. And sometimes all that is
realistic is the telling. So flexibility is a requirement.

Ultimately, story-telling should encourage a horizontal learning
environment. How do i support that without accidentally falling into a
heirarchical, hence vertical, learning environment?

--
Sent from Gmail for mobile | mobile.google.com

___________________________________________________
Support human rights defenders in Cambodia

sign the petition:
http://petitionspot.com/petitions/stoptheintimidation