Thursday 29 January 2009

Engaging and Integrating Faith and Justice

It's not as easy as I thought. And this week I've experienced a good
amount of dislocation as well as integration.

Often i'm living in one world or the other. But occasionally the two
come together. A lunch appointment had me discussing possible justice
oriented actions by Christians. And my own organisation has been very
responsive to the situation at Dey Krahom. But i still desire a more
integrated vocabulary for myself where faith meets justice more
harmoniously. To talk of prayer in a human rights meeting may seem
crazy, but is a fundamentally human act, as well as inviting the Human
One into the process.

The peace-building world seems most conducive to integrating these,
but I'm yet to collaborate closely with peace builders on a day to day
basis. I'd like that to change and I want my own perception of myself
and work to be more influenced and nuanced by peacebuilding concepts
and practices.

A year ago I sought to apprentice myself to a human rights group. I've
done that, not quite as I expected, but through partnership. I now
want to complement that with the peace movement. Why? Because it is
more wholistic and open to faith expression, as well as looking for
interventions in conflict systems that are less finger-pointing and
blaming and more about facilitating connections between currently
warring or fighting factions. And this is what I see as a gap in
Cambodia. There is little space for communities, authorities and
companies to dialogue. Often for obvious reasons, such as companies
seem and act so insular, having little vision for mutually bendicial
arrangements with a community.

--
Sent from Gmail for mobile | mobile.google.com