Thursday 29 January 2009

Dey Krahom - reflections

After talking with friends from Dey Krahom tonight I realise I have
been disengaged from my feelings quite a bit since Saturday - the day
of the eviction. Each day the eviction kind of fades a little, even as
Dey Krahom members continue to be homeless - or worse. I heard tonight
that 7NG do food distributions to the people dumped on the side of the
road. Yet some still miss out. Those who get food and those who don't
is based entirely of the say-so of the original community leaders -
the ones who originally sold out Dey Krahom to 7NG in the first place.
Talk about re-traumatizing victims.

So i am feeling my anger and sadness and desire to support other
communities who are at risk of the same fate, yet have much less
support.

The family, Heap and I are going to Kampot on Saturday to meet
community leaders and survey the area for a potential Innerchange team
there. But I have done little preparation for it. It's been
over-shadowed by Dey Krahom's eviction.

DK is fighting on, however. Despite this huge loss, leaders are
determined to fight for compensation. I hope that they will help
prepare other communities, too.

--
Sent from Gmail for mobile | mobile.google.com