Wednesday 14 March 2007

How effective is my life?

I subscribe to the philosophy that effectiveness is best evaluated by how closely aligned are my actions to my values. After all,

"if you don't live the way you think is right, you'll end up thinking the way you live is right." the GROW Blue Book

It is scary to me just how true this statement is, and how much I have fallen into the "thinking the way I live is right". At 32, nearly 33, I am consciously concerned that the idealism of my late teens and my twenties has gone the way of the birds, and like the free-swinging hippies of the sixties, end up a corporate stalwart. And this is something I just don't want to happen.

I am thirty-two and wondering just what impact my life is really having. Am I really changing the world the way I thought I could and would. I was so sure that my life was going to change things big-time. But as I look at what has actually changed by my efforts, I am ashamed and concerned. How can I do better? How can I be confident of the values of my life and that I really am an effective change agent in this world?

I am coming to the conclusion that I need some benchmarks. The only way to be sure that my life is effective, is to set myself some concrete goals, and evaluate them in the future. Well, this is probably very obvious now that I've written it down, and most likely the real problem is that I haven't been setting goals for a very long time.

So what are my goals?

Firstly, there are two "circles of influence" that are important to me:
  1. to live a responsible and sustainable lifestyle
  2. to effect positive change in others (both individuals and corporate entities, including family, local, national and international) towards a compassionate society.
to be continued ...