Saturday 26 May 2012

Ahhh, the Nostalgia of Parenthood

I overheard a father talking with his ten year-old son. "They're re-releasing Monty Python's The Holy Grail. We should go and see it!"

Kind Arthur and his servant Patsy

I chuckled inwardly and wondered what on earth a ten year-old would make of The Holy Grail.

This morning I walked back into the house after my morning run to find Patrick reading an Asterix comic book. I'd found a bunch of them in Pendle Hill's free room and immediately thought to myself, "Patrick will love to read them!" assuming that since I loved to read them as a teenager a 7-year-old would enjoy them, too ... of course.

Well, it turns out I'm right. Though he doesn't get most of the jokes and puns - but he loves the visual humour.

In reflection, much of parenting is re-living our childhood through our children. Inflicting on them the best and worst of our own experiences, hoping somehow that it will be an improvement for the next generation.