Wednesday 14 April 2010

Tonight's Mango Menu

We all enjoyed mango smoothies throughout the day, making use of the blended pulp I made up last night - and which when frozen our family refers to as mango ice-cream. It kind of tastes like mango gelato ...

Then I had the 35 or so mangoes from today's drop to deal with.

I very nearly ignored the problem, or wondered if I should ask if anyone needs 35 mangoes. But I finally found the energy to deal with the issue. It's not like they'll go away. And there will be 35 more tomorrow to deal with.

So I figured I go with Sam's mango sauce idea.

Mango & Soy Sauce

1 large bowl of cut up mangoes
1 cup soy sauce
1 garlic 'pod' - what do you call the whole garlic thing?
2 onions
2 red peppers
1 tbsp oil

So basically, fry up the onions, add the garlic, then the peppers. Once they look done I threw in almost all the mango (enough so it wouldn't fall out of the frying pan) and then added the soy sauce. I was a little scared I'd thrown in too much soy sauce, but the taste test seems to suggest a winner.

I tried canning them, but the jars were too big for my big pots, so I'm not sure it worked properly. We'll just have to eat them quick.