Thursday 3 December 2009

Excerise

One of my (ongoing) goals is fitness. But is like so many goals that
gets pushed to the end of the list, and simply missed in the craziness
of life. Well, the move to Kampot is facilitating excercise - somewhat.

Being a small country town it's not far from one end to the other, even
though we are at the very far north of town. Any further north and
you're on National Road number 3 on the way back to Phnom Penh.

The upshot is that I can easily ride my bike around town without getting
too sweaty - which is almost impossible to do anywhere in Cambodia
except for Mondulkiri or Ratanakiri in January.

The back routes (but not streets) are most favourable. One, they give a
wonderful view of Bokor Mountain range, and the rice fields bursting
with not-yet-harvested rice. Secondly, they give protection from the
blustery north wind that blows through this time of year. Riding on the
mainstreet back to my house is quite an effort against the wind.

Another positive to riding in Kampot (and most places in Cambodia) is
that it is very flat. So an easy way to get back into some physical
exercise.

Given these factors, I am riding my bike on a daily basis. I wouldn't
say it's a great workout, but it's better than nothing. The plan, then,
is to go somewhere farther afield, say, Kep. Kep is twenty to
twenty-five minutes away by car depending on how many cars, trucks and
pot-holes you have to dodge. A local guide suggests the ride to Kep from
Kampot (or vice versa) is about 1hr and 20minutes. I'm guessing that's
at not too hard a pace. So my plan is to try it out tomorrow, knowing
that my bum's going to hurt like mad, and my legs wobble like crazy.

I won't be wrestling for very long tomorrow night with Patrick and Isaac.

No comments: